The old bridge was originally built between 1905 and 1912 by Henry Flagler as part of the Overseas Railroad. The bridge was damaged during the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935.
In 1980, a new four-lane bridge was constructed just a few hundred yards north of the old bridge, replacing the old route. Two of the truss spans of the old bridge were later removed to allow boat traffic.
The original bridge still remains, though it has fallen into a state of disrepair and signs warning boats of falling debris.