Tagged kirkko

The Church of St. Mary in Hollola

The Church of St. Mary in Hollola was built between the years 1495-1510: the vestry in ca. 1495, the main body in 1500, and armoury after 1505. The church of Hollola is the third largest medieval parish church in Finland and the oldest public building in Päijät- Häme region. The church, built in the mother parish of Greater Hollola, into the crossing of waterway Lake Päijänne – Lake Vesijärvi – Porvoonjoki river and the road Ylinen Viipurintie, was very centrally located. The massive stone church with high-pitched shingle roof, richly decorated gables, great cornerstones and strong granite walls, was a welcoming shelter for a traveller, kneeling down before the south side open-air altar or the altar in the armoury.

The church was built in Roman Catholic times and signs of the bygone era can still be seen: four pillars divide the church into two naves and the ribs of the two easternmost circular star vaults are decorated with paintings that indicate the area of the then main altar. The dedication crosses painted on the walls, eleven in total, witness of the dedication of the building and of the fact that Church is built upon the teaching of the Twelve Apostles. Above the door to the vestry, remains of painting depicting two angels carrying a monstrance, can be seen. This reminds the visitor of the reality of Christ in the Communion and in the Holy Place. On the base of the easternmost pillar there is the oldest piece in the church. The baptismal font, carved by master of Vehmaa in late 14th century reminds us of baptism, the sacrament of joining the Church.

During the Middle Ages, the church was lavishly decorated with wood sculptures. Twenty-four figures still exist, however their original screens have been lost. The patron saint of the church, St. Mary, has for instance been the main figure in the altar screen consisting of eight smaller figures. Today these are scattered in all parts of the church. The present antemensale, with the same motive as in the painting above the vestry, gives us a glimpse of the splendour of the medieval furnishing of the building. The doors of the church are beautiful examples of medieval wood carving and forging work, especially the door between armoury and nave. This one, with motives of lilies and the hunt of St. Hubert, is generally admired.

 

The belltower was built in 1829-1831 according to C. L. Engel drafts. The ground floor of the tower has a cold room for the deceased as well as a room for close relatives.

text from:https://www.geocaching.com

The Espoo Cathedral interior

 

The church was originally designed in the late 15th century by an unknown “Espoo master” and built between 1485 and 1490 under his supervision. The only remaining parts of the medieval church are the eastern and western parts of the nave. The weapons room was removed between 1804 and 1806 and certain other parts of the church, including the original sacristy, were taken apart between 1821 and 1823 when the building was converted into a more spacious cruciform church.

The vaults and walls of the older parts of the cathedral are decorated with murals, largely painted in the 1510s, that depict both biblical scenes and events in the daily life of the people. The paintings were covered in the 18th century as they were thought to be “crude and superstitious” but uncovered again and conserved during renovations in 1931. The current campanile of the cathedral was completed in 1767 and its top part was redone between 1868 and 1869.( Wikipedia)

The Espoo Cathedral

The church was originally designed in the late 15th century by an unknown “Espoo master” and built between 1485 and 1490 under his supervision. The only remaining parts of the medieval church are the eastern and western parts of the nave. The weapons room was removed between 1804 and 1806 and certain other parts of the church, including the original sacristy, were taken apart between 1821 and 1823 when the building was converted into a more spacious cruciform church.

The vaults and walls of the older parts of the cathedral are decorated with murals, largely painted in the 1510s, that depict both biblical scenes and events in the daily life of the people. The paintings were covered in the 18th century as they were thought to be “crude and superstitious” but uncovered again and conserved during renovations in 1931. The current campanile of the cathedral was completed in 1767 and its top part was redone between 1868 and 1869.( Wikipedia)

Turku Cathedral

tina´s wordless wednesday # 88

Turku Cathedral  is the Mother Church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, and the country’s national shrine.It is also regarded as one of the major records of Finnish architectural history.
Considered to be the most important religious building in Finland, the cathedral has borne witness to many important events in the nation’s history and has become one of the city’s most recognizable symbols. The cathedral is situated in the heart of Turku next to the Old Great Square, by the river Aura. Its presence extends beyond the local precinct by having the sound of its bells chiming at noon broadcast on national radio. It is also central to Finland’s annual Christmas celebrations.
The cathedral was originally built out of wood in the late 13th century, and was dedicated as the main cathedral of Finland in 1300, the seat of the bishop of Turku. It was considerably expanded in the 14th and 15th centuries, mainly using stone as the construction material. The cathedral was badly damaged during the Great Fire of Turku in 1827, and was rebuilt to a great extent afterward

SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC

Värikollaasi 107 – Golden glow

Värikollaasi 107

I tried to do these still in the spirit of the season. I have not altered the tones in the photos…trying to be true to the challenge and find the real colors in the photos!

Wishing everyone Happy New Year 2013!

värikollaasi 107 Read more